- Monthly meetings to discuss concerns, share information and plan programming designed to address specific issues raised within the group.
- Regular community building events, including annual WISE family picnic, end of semester luncheons and joint events for faculty and students.
- Distinguished speakers spotlighting the contributions of top women research scientists and experts on gender equity issues. In addition to department seminars and/or campus presentations, distinguished speakers also meet privately over lunch with the WISE group.
- Workshops related to the tenure process, grant writing, resource negotiations, effective communication, work/family issues, lab management and departmental politics are offered on a regular basis in collaboration with the ADVANCE Program and Faculty Development Center.
- Support for dossier preparation and development of effective teaching portfolios in preparation for third year review or promotion and tenure is provided for women faculty in STEM through an informal peer review committee.
- WISE members support departmental recruitment of women faculty by meeting with candidates at the request of STEM search committees. A group of 5-10 WISE members meet with each candidate for coffee and candid conversation.
- WISE provides preliminary information and advice on options for development of family leave plans for women and men in STEM.
PAST WISE ACTIVITIES
Building a Community of Women in STEM at UMBC
Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Group 2008-2009 Monthly Colloquium Series:
- October 24, 2008 WISE Welcome Lunch, Celebrating New Faculty, and Recent Tenure and Promotions
- November 6, 2008 WISE Workshop for Graduate Students-“Recession-proof Your Career by Enhancing Your Networking Savvy,” Jo Miller, CEO, Women’s Leadership Coaching, Inc.
- November 21, 2008 WISE Meeting – Advancing to Full Professor
- December 19, 2008 WISE Holiday Luncheon
- January 23, 2009 WISE Meeting – Spring Events Planning
- February 6, 2009 New Women in STEM Faculty Luncheon
- February 27, 2009 WISE Meeting – Sexism in the Classroom
- March 27, 2009 WISE Meeting – Panel Discussion based on Motherhood, The Elephant in the Laboratory
- April 24, 2009 WISE Meeting – Breathing with Beth
- May 13, 2009 WISE Meeting – ADVANCE Sustainability Plan, Guest Speaker: Provost Elliot Hirshman
- June-July 2009 WISE Sponsorship Committee
- September 13, 2009 Annual WISE Family Picnic
- September 25, 2009 WISE Meeting- UMBC ADVANCE and WISE, Post Grant
- October 28, 2009 WISE Meeting – Personnel Management in the lab and Research Group
- November 18, 2009 WISE Meeting – International Students and Workers, Guest Speakers: Arlene Wergin, Ph.D., Director, UMBC International Education Services and Roy Braine, Assistant Director, UMBC International Education Services.
- September 11, 2011 WISE Annual Picnic, Celebrating New Faculty, and Recent Tenure and Promotions
- October 18, 2011 WISE Brownbag Luncheon with Senior STEM Women
- February 21, 2012 WISE Brownbag Luncheon on Mentoring
- September 9, 2012 WISE Picnic
- November 12, 2012, WISE Luncheon-Time Mangement and Teaching
- February 25, 2012 WISE Meeting- Campus Governance
- March 11, 2013 WISE Meeting-Breathing with Beth
- September 8, 2013, WISE Picnic
- October 7, 2013, WISE Lunch with Dr. Susan Lindquist
- November 18, 2013, WISE Lunch Meeting- Discussion of Dr. Lindquist’s Visit
- February 24, 2014, WISE Lunch, Lab Management
- March 13, 2014, WISE Lunch, Dr. Karen Butler-Purry Associate Provost for Graduate Studies at Texas A&M
- April 30, 2014, WISE Lunch, Dr. Eve Marder-Professor of Biology at Brandeis University
- November 17, 2014, WISE Meeting, Meet the Deans
- March 30, 2015, “Gender Bias in Student Evaluations”
- October 19, 2015 “Tamra Mendelson’s Experience at NSF”
- April 4, 2016 “CRLT Players Discussion”
- Sunday, September 11, 2016, WISE Picnic at Marie desJardins
- Tuesday, October 11, 2016, WISE Lunch with ADVANCE Distinguished Speaker, Dr. Claudia Pearce
- Monday, October 17, 2016, WISE Lunch with UMBC STRIDE
- Thursday, March 31, 2017, WISE Reception
- Sunday, September 11, 2017, WISE Picnic
- Monday, November 13, 2017, WISE Lunch with ADVANCE Distinguished Speaker, Dr. Meg Urry
- Monday, December 4, 2017, WISE Lunch with New Dean Keith Bowman
- Monday, March 26, 2018, WISE Lunch with New Dean Katharine Cole
WISE Coffees with Faculty Candidates